Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jake at 18 months

I thought about apologizing for not updating the last month, but I don't want to.  No news is good news? Yes, I think that saying says it best. 

Jake turned 18 months old yesterday.  How did that happen??

Jake is weaned.  *sniff*  It has been about 6 days since he's nursed.  He's been doing really well.  We've had a few bumps, then I'd give in and nurse him, but I found I was just confusing him more.  So I did the unthinkable.  I ate a banana.  Then I ate sushi (dear God, how I've missed sushi).  There was no way in hell I would nurse him after that!  And guess what?  He didn't really seem bothered by it.  If he did ask for it, I would say it's "all gone".  He'd fuss for a minute, then move on.  I'm now going through what I feel are like baby blues as my hormones start to adjust once again.  I have mixed emotions, of course.  Happy to see him thriving without me, sad to let that special nursing relationship go.  But it really was time for both of us. 

I've been much more lenient with Jake's food over the past month.  I still scan every label, however.  If I don't see the word:  rice, oats, quinoa, or bananas, I deem it safe. I am grateful for the restaurants that put their ingredients online.  It has made a world of difference.  It takes some effort, but we feel normal because of it.  I don't think anyone really knows how much I still think of FPIES and still watch every little thing he eats.  But, I think this is a good thing.  It's not a big production anymore.  It's just something that is second nature and we deal with now.  I have a feeling in another year we will be one of the very lucky families that will put this strange, rare syndrome behind us.

He eats pizza with the family every Friday night now.  You have no idea what this means to me.  We have had pizza night every Friday since before my daughter was born (she's 8 now).  He can participate.  He loves that he eats what everyone else is eating.  And he likes it!

Most meals I cook he can eat.  Or I have learned to modify to make them safe for Jake.  Nobody has noticed.  We all eat the same food.  I don't feel like a short order cook, making different meals anymore.

I still have a few main things I want to trial.  Jake still hasn't had any beans.  He hasn't reacted to them through my milk the past few months, so this will be trialed soon.  (It feels strange not having my nursing safety net for trialing!)

Jake can eat things that contain soy... but I haven't tried straight soy beans yet. 

Jake has still had a few bad diapers... but not FULL REACTION diapers.  He had one bad blowout this month.  I have no idea what caused it.  We had gone to a frozen yogurt place, but the ingredients in the yogurt seemed fine.  They did have a gluten-free yogurt that contained rice milk, maybe some cross contamination?  Who knows.  Truth is, it was no big deal.  He never complained of a tummy ache.  He woke up from the nap with a bad blow out.  It was over. 

Jake has his 18 month appointment next week.  I'm hoping we'll see weight gain and good iron levels!  He looks healthy.  He talks a mile a minute, saying new words every day.  He makes us all smile with his sense of humor and overall cuteness.  Things are going well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment