Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Fun Facts about Millet

It's the holiday season.  This always puts me in a list mood. 
  • Millet has been cultivated for some 8,000 years and is one of the oldest foods known to man.
  • Yesterday I ate millet twice.  Breakfast and Dinner.  It's OK to be jealous.  I won't fault you for it.
  • Millet is mentioned in the Bible and was used during those times to make bread. 
  • I ordered infant millet porridge from Australia a few weeks ago.  It's still not here.   
  • There is such a thing as millet beer (ummm where can I find some, Mama could use a beverage on this elimination diet!)
  • The U.S. uses millet mainly for cattle and bird feed.  (and those who have FPIES or nourish a baby with FPIES, or in our case BOTH)
  • My visa actually called to tell me someone was using my credit card in Australia and they suspected fraud.  Someone had charged $33.00 to a food company.
  • Yes, I paid $33 freaking dollars for infant millet porridge.  The things we do. 
  • Millet is grown in hot, dry climates where other grains will not thrive.  Hmmm...  I live in the southwest.  It is awfully hot and dry here.  I may be on to something. 
  • Millet puffs are very tiny.  They fit up a baby's nostril.  With patience, time and long finger nails you can carefully remove them from a baby's nostril.  As long as he doesn't snort it up.  Whew. 
  • Jake has had a very small amount of millet puffs six out of the last eight days.  With no reaction. (doing a very small happy dance... taking things slow, going to start increasing amounts today) 

Reference: http://chetday.com/millet.html

4 comments:

  1. Heather- thank you so much for the laugh!! ;) I hope and pray millet continues to go so well for Jake- pretty soon you'll be making him little muffins or cookies with that millet flour

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha This is great! Hooray for millet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS A bulk foods company I know of has millet flour and millet everything. In case you need it:
    https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/search?q=millet&submit=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Nichole - I will totally check out this site, thank you! I can only get the millet at Whole Foods here and I have horrible problem going there. I can't leave without dropping $100. My husband calls it "whole paycheck". Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete