Friday, January 28, 2011

A few of our favorite things

The Babycenter FPIES forum is such a great resource.  I don't know what I would do without it. Recently someone posted about CheeCha Potato PuffsI ordered 12 bags from Canada.  They have changed our lives forever.  I am eternally grateful.


They remind me of those wagon wheels I used to feed my older kiddos when they were babies.  But these are BETTER.  I snack on them.  So does the hubs.  So do the big sibs. They melt in your mouth. 
They are Jake's absolute favorite. 
I would not be able to make dinner peacefully without them. 
Bonus:  They're not messy. 

Ingredients:  Potato Flour, Potato Starch and Salt

Did I mention they taste good? 


Next.. Our OLD favorite thing... I'm sorry you've been replaced, Crispy Pears.  But they do come in a close second.  I like to snack on them, too.  They're a good replacement for a cracker when your little one can't have any sort of grain.  They're crispy.  They melt in your mouth. 

Ingredients: Asian Pears

Did I mention they taste good?

 
Meanwhile, I've been trying a few different recipes with Jake's $33 Australian millet porridge that he absolutely hates.  I didn't want it to go to waste.  I searched and found this recipe:

Eggless Baby Cereal Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup flour (organic millet flour)
1 cup baby cereal (millet baby porridge)
1 cup juice (organic apple juice)

Directions:

Mix ingredients well. Roll out and cut into shapes. Bake for 20-30 min @ 350 deg. F.. Freezes Well. 

Recipe is borrowed from Wholesome Baby Food. This web site is a great resource for information about baby food.  Unfortunately, I don't think millet works like other baby cereals, just like millet flour doesn't really work like other flours. These may freeze well, but the millet variety tastes a bit like dog food.  Not that I've ever really tasted dog food.  Well, ok, maybe on a dare when I was a kid.  Anyway, I won't make them again.   Jake took one taste and made a face and refused the rest. 

Fail for the taste buds!

Food Trial Update... we're on day three of blueberries. Jake has a new favorite fruit!  I may try to make a blueberry sorbet for his first birthday in two weeks.   Maybe paired with a mango sorbet?  Hmmmm.... time to experiment!


P.S. We never fully trialed Tamiflu.  Every time I tried to give it to Jake he spit it out.  Or gagged until he threw up.  Another fail for the taste buds?  Perhaps it would have been a fail for the tummy, too?  Either way, I hope we never have to trial it again!!

1 comment:

  1. You, go, mama! You are doing such a great job keeping him healthy!

    ReplyDelete