Monday, January 17, 2011

Magical Millet "Cookies"

I am so inspired by Baby B's Mommy, Amanda.  She is so creative and inventive to provide her little one "normal" type food with such a small menu.  So I ventured to create my own recipe for millet muffins and cookies. 

Millet is not easy to bake with.  I like it best as a breakfast cereal with lots of stuff added in to make it taste better.  Honey, pears. raisins, nuts, cinnamon...  to name a few. 

This is my breakfast most mornings.  Looks better with the millet blurred out a bit...

During the last few weeks I have made 562 batches of millet muffins and cookies, trying to find an edible combination with our limited ingredients.  That might be a slight exaggeration.  But I did a lot of baking of the SAME thing, slightly altered, over and over again

The result?  Magical Millet "Cookies"!! Cookies in parenthesis because they're really muffin tops.  But they look like cookies!  And they are very edible.  My 5 year old LOVES them.  Jake LOVES them.  I like them.  I prefer a good chocolate chip cookie, but these are definitely worthy of a freshly brewed cup of coffee served with them.  Or apple juice.

Magic Millet Cookies

1 cup millet flour
1 tsp baking powder (corn-free)
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup water
2 Tbs applesauce
Preheat oven to 375.  Mix together dry ingredients.  Make a well.  Add wet ingredients fold in until just moistened.  Spoon batter into muffin top pan so it just covers the bottom.  Bake for 14-16 minutes.  Transfer to cooling rack.  Enjoy!!


I never officially trialed sugar or canola oil.  We just flew by the seat of our pants here.  Jake had some sugar mixed with millet porridge a few times.  He's had some oil from french fries a few times, as well.  He's had quite a few of these muffins with no reactions!








Mini Millet Muffins - say that 10 times fast






Millet Muffin Tops ready to become Cookies!


COOKIES!!


MUFFINS!!


OH MY!!!!


Enjoy!!  Please leave me a comment if you make these and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. My recipe adapted from Amanda's Merry Muffins- for the corn intolerant:

    3/4 cup millet (or other safe) flour
    6Tbsp safe oil
    1/4tsp baking soda
    1Tbsp arrowroot (I use arrowroot instead of baking powder since baking powder has ingredients that are not safe for my little man yet- corn being the main one but you can get them made with potato).
    9-12oz.peaches (I am not sure how this equates to fresh peach puree but this is what I've done using Plum Organics Peaches)...so otherwise maybe anywhere from 3/4- 1 1/2cups fruit. (I did it with 3 packs and then with 4 when I was trying to use less flour more fruit- both turned out just different textures).

    Mix flour and baking soda together, let sit. (Now this is where I have improvised because of the arrowroot so not sure if you need to do this step if not using arrowroot). I cook the peach puree- so combine the peach puree with the tablespoon of arrowroot on the stovetop and let it come to a nice bubbly boil (it will really "inflate" it)- it takes maybe 2minutes over medium heat. Take it off when you get this "inflate" (not after- you lose the elasticity of the arrowroot if you cook too much- which is what I do in my formula), but I do think cooking it some "activates" it to the stage you want it (arrowroot has a few stages in baking and can be quite versatile, I've found). I also add another 1/4tsp of baking soda here (again- to give me baking powder)...
    Add oil to flour mix, then stir in peaches/arrowroot. I just use a whisk and spatula- not beaters or anything. Divide out into mini-muffin pans. Cook at 375 for 8-10minutes.

    Not sure if making them in mini muffins also helps- with the arrowroot (so it doesn't get too glue-y). My next purchase will be a muffin top pan! :)

    Whew- this is quite a recipe for 5 ingredients!! :) hahaha! I really just winged it and haven't experimented with more or less flour, or less baking soda, or more or less arrowroot yet but at least this gives you an edible product (although crumbly side).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your recipe Joy!! Sounds like a little work, but worth it to see Sam eat a muffin :) The muffin tops are awesome. It really works like a cookie. And a lot less crumbly!

    ReplyDelete