Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Doctor visits

We had two doctor's visits yesterday. 

General Ped 9 month visit - went great.  Jake is staying on his curve.  He weighed 19 lbs 4 oz.  He's a short little dude, but staying on his curve.  He's reaching all his milestones appropriately.  Our doctor seemed like she had read up a little on FPIES since our last visit.  She just said she hadn't seen it before, and just really hopes he outgrows it by 3 or 4 so he won't have any recollection of it.  I agree. She asked about our allergy visits, what his recommendation were.  She didn't have too much to offer, just to keep doing what we're doing.  No vaccines, just a toe prick.  Iron levels were normal.  Yay! 

GI Follow up visit and nutritionist - disappointed.  First, our visit with the GI was really just that.. a follow up.  He threw out some ideas, but at this point I feel like the allergist has really taken ownership of Jake's diagnosis.  GI did say something funny... "So Jake's allergic to rice and air?"  ha ha, yes pretty much everything. GI mentioned Jake could try Alimentum Ready to Feed formula. It's corn free.  Well, I looked up the ingredients, it contains ascorbic acid.  Really I don't think there's a formula he could totally tolerate.  I'm fully committed to nurse him for the next year at least.  He seemed a little concerned about Jake only pooping once or twice a week.  They are soft and formed, so I'm not worried.  My other son was EXACTLY the same way as a baby.  And now he's fine.  GI said if his poops become very hard to try prune juice.  As if it's that easy.  Try prune juice.  I will trial it at some point.  I did find some organic prune juice that contains no ascorbic acid.  Only at Whole Foods though. 

After the GI left, the nutritionist came in.  I was really hoping to pick her brain about different grains, different food families, some ideas of what to try next.  She kind of looked at me like a deer in headlights.  She was no help at all.  She kept saying he looked healthy and my breastmilk is all he needs.  Well that's great, but not FOREVER!  She wouldn't recommend anything because the doctor hadn't ok'd any other foods.  Huh?  I tried rephrasing myself several times, but in the end I think I knew more about food then she did.  She hadn't even looked in Jake's file before she came in.  Didn't even know his name.  Very disappointing. 

GI asked that I make an appointment for three months from now.  I didn't.  I'm not sure what his role is for us.  If Jake's vomitting were to return without a known cause, then yes.  If his symptoms still existed after removing the offending foods, then yes.  If he was having bowel issues, yes.  Maybe in three months things will be different.  I don't know.  I should probably go ahead and make the appointment.  It doesn't cost us much to go. 

We're done with doctor visits for a few months at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment