Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What CAN you eat?

This is the question I am constantly asked.  Here is what I've eliminated...
  • Rice
  • Oats
  • Wheat
  • Corn (ascorbic acid, corn syrup)
  • Bananas
  • Quinoa
  • Beans, legumes of all kinds
So I guess that makes me gluten free?  Thankfully I still have dairy.  Here was today's menu...

Breakfast - millet mixed with cinnamon, agave nectar, walnuts, raisins
Lunch - baked potato topped with Fage Greek Yogurt and Salsa.  Plain greek yogurt tastes just like sour cream to me and it contains 20 grams of protein in one cup!  Fills me up.
Dinner - Baked Chicken "breaded" in almond meal, spaghetti squash and broccoli

I'm constantly snacking throughout the day on..
  • Fruits (apples and pears mostly, clementines)
  • Veggies (carrots, celery, red peppers) with Trader Joes' Yogurt and Chive dip
  • My Trail mix (sunflower seeds, papitas, almonds, cranberries and dark chocolate nibs)
  • Milk
  • Coconut Bliss Dark Chocolate frozen dessert
  • Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate with Almonds
  • Peanut Butter
  • Plain Kefir mixed with some agave nectar and fruit
  • Organic vanilla yogurt
I'm keeping things pretty simple on the dinner homefront.  Grilled steak, chicken, pork chops.  I made ground turkey burgers the other night.  I used lettuce as my bun.  I baked our own french fries and made a "clean" ketchup.  The ketchup was disgusting.  Nobody quite does it like Heinz.  I use an organic spaghetti sauce and add it to my ground turkey and veggies.  Instead of pasta, I just put it over spinach.  Odd, but it works.  I have a chicken soup recipe I plan to make tomorrow.  I'm leaving out the egg noodles.  I'm taking a lot of my regular recipes and trying to make them fit into my elimination diet.  Nobody around here really seems the wiser.  The kids and the hubs are eating the same things I normally make.  I'm just tweaking them to meet my reqs. 

I do miss pizza night though.  At least I still have my chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. Heather- what an amazing mommy you are!! I am SOO glad to hear Jake is at a comfortable, happy baseline!!

    There is a gluten free pizza crust made out of cheese I believe, have NO idea what else is in it - just thought of it when I saw your missing pizza. Yes, at least you can still have chocolate. I think your menu here looks fabulous! Very inspirational for other mom's and completly full of nutrients.
    I hope millet continues to go well so you can add it to Jake's diet.

    ReplyDelete