Monday, November 22, 2010

Survived First Thanksgiving, now we're going "green"

We had Thanksgiving early this year.  I was so glad we were hosting because that meant I had a little control over the menu.  I was able to partake in the turkey, sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli.  All the other food looked fantastic (especially the pies), but it was easy to avoid those foods.  The elimination diet is getting so much easier.  I think mostly because of the huge difference I see in Jake.  He's happy, well rested and feels good.  Jake had his own little feast of sweet potatoes and his favorite freeze dried pears. 

My family all knows about Jake's FPIES, so I tried to relax as much as I could without following everyone around with a dustbuster and insisting everyone eat at a table.  Only once did someone try to feed Jake some whipped cream.  I was calm.  I didn't over react.  I just grabbed Jake and said, "oh he can't have that!".  Trying not to be that crazy over protective Mom, yet knowing I need to be if we don't want him sick. 

With all the family over, I don't think Jake's feet ever touched the ground!  This lessened my crumb paranoia.  He was passed around, loved on, snuggled, hugged and kissed over and over.  He loved it.  By the time everyone left, we did a scan of the floor and it wasn't bad.  Accidental ingestions, diverted

It was a great first Thanksgiving for my little man. 

In other food news... we've passed white potatoes.  I wasn't too surprised.  It's one of those things he's kind of had off and on.  I say we're safe now.  He's not a big fan of them, however!  Not enough flavor, I guess?  They are rather boring.  I need to try an oil so I can bake some of my fabulous french fries for him. 

I think mangoes are safe.  We did four days of freeze dried, then tried fresh.  The last day he was a little fussy, but not sure if it was the mangoes or not.  He didn't really like the fresh ones.  Too tart, I think.  He loved the freeze dried ones, however.  They come in big slices, so I put them away for now.  He won't eat the fresh ones, but the freeze dried ones will be nice to have once he gets a little older and can bite pieces off himself. 

So, our next trial?  I'm being brave.  I think having two passes has made me feel like branching out.  Branch, hee hee, since our next trial is a green little tree looking veggie... Broccoli!  It's so different from any of the foods he's had. It's so healthy.  It's GREEN.  It scares me.  He's never had anything green.  But I feel brave.  I eat broccoli almost every day.  Since he's so sensitive to my milk, I'm taking this as a good sign. 

Today I grabbed some broccoli that had already been steamed yesterday.  I steamed it AGAIN.  It was practically falling apart.  I diced it up.  He LOVED it. I think he liked seeing something rather than orange or white on plate!  He ate all of it.  Then he signed for more.  I wanted to give him more, but I refrained.  I really want this one to pass.  I will do it "right". 

Millet... the next brave step.  I've been eating millet for breakfast every day for a week now.  It's not bothering Jake through my milk.  I've been pre-soaking the grains in plain Kefir hoping to make the proteins even more digestible.  Nothing wrong with some extra probiotics either!  It's making me feel a little more comfortable about possibly trialing millet soon.  Those little puffed millets would be a perfectly easy thing to give him as a snack.  I will probably wait until after Christmas.  Although, I don't have a lot of patience.  I think I'm getting greedy now.  We'll see how broccoli goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment