Sunday, November 14, 2010

Getting back to baseline, again

Is this what we always do?  Try to get back to baseline?  I feel like we're on a hamster wheel sometimes. 

Lots of factors this week.  Major quinoa ingestion at the beginning of the week, patch testing (showing quinoa and wheat reaction), accidental ingestion of corn starch (by me), shredded wheat (possible sleep disturber?).  I'm trying to put all these pieces of the puzzle together.  This week has been an off week for Jake.  Back to bad sleeping, tummy pains and lots of gas and burps.  All because of my diet.  I'm glad I know about the quinoa, now.  It all seems to make sense.  I think because so many other people have been successful with quinoa, I never attributed any of his tummy pains to it.  I just assumed it was safe.  No more assuming

I'm eliminating shredded wheat from my diet.  I'm limiting myself to two pieces of bread a day.  The bread I eat doesn't seem to bother him.  But I think the shredded wheat does.  Last week I was out of the cereal and ate toast for breakfast... last week he slept better and felt better.  I haven't had the shredded wheat in a few days.  Last night he slept better.  Up only twice. 

This week I'm going to finish up our mango trial.  I'm pretty sure it's a pass.  I'm going to start white potatoes, which I'm also sure are a pass.  Meanwhile, I'm going to try millet for myself.  I want to see if it disturbs his sleep patterns. If not, I'll stick with it a while, and maybe this will be the first grain we try.  I think for anything major, I'll try it through my milk, first. 

As much as I like to cook, I do like to eat out, too.  I found this amazing vegetarian, all organic, all local little cafe in my neighborhood.  FINALLY!  I can eat out.  I had a yummy salad from there yesterday.  They know exactly what is in everything they make, it is all made right then and there with all fresh ingredients.  They didn't seem bothered by me asking for ingredients for everything. I felt normal.  Maybe Jake can eat there, too, some day.

2 comments:

  1. Millet has been great for us! Holle is a company out of Australia- they make a great infant porridge (if and when you get to trialing it for Jake)- great idea to trial in your milk first BTW!! Also, another discovery I made at Holle is their Organic Tea. It is: Fennel, Aniseed, Caraway, and Camomile. I wish I had it it a year ago! I used some organic gripe waters but stopped those when I realized he was not tolerating corn syrups or citric acid, etc. But this is a tea- so free of all that, the above ingredients are IT.
    Anyway- just made me think of it when I thought of Holle when I read about your millet thoughts! :)
    Sorry quinoa is a bust, we haven't trialed it yet- he won't eat it.....but maybe that's a sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joy! I just ordered Jake some millet porridge from Holle after your recommendation. I'm excited we may have a grain in the future.

    ReplyDelete