Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Anemic.

Jake had his 15 month well check today.  He's growing.  20 lbs, 2 ounces (20%), 29 inches (3%). He's on his own curve, the doctor tells me. 

My main concern I wanted to share with the pediatrician was Jake's new "breath holding" behavior.  It has happened twice in the past month.  The first time it happened, Jake fell off a stool.  He didn't hit his head.  He just laid there doing a silent scream.  He was red faced.  We were waiting for the giant wail to come out, but it never came.  I picked him up, he went limp in my arms.  He wasn't breathing.  We called 911.  We were scared.  He came around with in seconds, but was very lethargic.  A few minutes later, we was crying and back with us.  A few minutes later he was FINE.  We stopped the ambulance from coming and thought maybe he had the wind knocked out of him. 

Last week, we were all walking to the park.  Jake went to tackle his big brother.  Big brother faked him out and Jake fell to the ground.  He hit his head.  I picked him up immediately.  He did that same silent scream.  We waited for the wail.  It never came.  His eyes rolled back in his head and he became very lethargic.  It scared us.  Again.  Within minutes he was crying, then back to his old self. 

Apparently these breath holding spells are normal.  It is the body's way of saying... "if you're not going to breath, I'm going to make you pass out so you're lying down and blood and oxygen can get to your head easier". 

However, breath holding spells can be a sign of anemia.  The pediatrician did a quick hemoglobin check.  Guess what?  Anemic.  His hemoglobin level was 10. 

The doctor wants Jake to start iron supplements.  I don't think they make them without ascorbic acid.  I'm not willing to "trial" ascorbic acid yet either.  I may see if I can have the pharmacist compound some for us. 

So guess what Jake is trialing this week? Beef. This boy needs some iron.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! YOu didn't tell me about that! That must have been so scary...I actually remember this happening to Sydney 3 times when she was Jake's age. Once was at Gymboree and I was seriously yelling at someone to call 911. It happened to her 2 more times and then not again. Funny, it was the same age as Jake! Glad he's okay...and he's coming up on the weight curve!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my GOODNESS. how scarey! I can not even imagine. I had no idea that was a sign of anemia. CRAZY! For-go the beef and trial LIVER!

    ReplyDelete