Friday, June 10, 2011

Still Anemic.

Talk about having the wind knocked out of you.  Jake's numbers were actually WORSE (hemogolobin 9.8)!  I admit I haven't been giving him the iron every single day, but we should have seen SOME improvement.  So this leads me to believe he's not absorbing the iron.  He's not getting enough vitamin C.  The nurse practitioner we saw today (our doctor was not there, and *yay* another new person who has no clue about FPIES) prescribed a different iron supplement with Vitamin C.  "I don't know if the Vitamin C is ascorbic acid or just plain old Vitamin C."  Hmmm... I don't understand this.  Any Vitamin C listed on any food or medication label I have ever read (and I've read A LOT of them) use ascorbic acid for Vitamin C.  But hey, maybe this one time I'm wrong.

So I went ahead and had our pharmacy order the new supplement.  We'll get it next week.  The hubs and I talked about giving it a try, even if it has ascorbic acid in it.  While Jake's new toddler formula contains AA, it's listed under "less than 1%".  I really do wonder if that reaction eight months ago from what we thought was ascorbic acid (pears and ascorbic acid were the only ingredients listed), may have been a cross contamination of another baby food containing rice/oats/bananas. 

Do we risk it? 

In the meantime, I'll continue to give him the iron supplement we have and try to push some Vitamin C with it. 

1 comment:

  1. :( boo. so sorry for that news. and cross contamination stinks! praying this resolves soon.

    ReplyDelete