Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Allergist Appointment

Jake had an allergist appointment today.  All went well.  He was pleased with Jake's progress and new foods, of course.  He had a few suggestions to get more calories into the little guy.  With our recent pass of corn and dairy, he'd like us to try some Toddler formula for a calorie boost.  I'm not sure Jake will agree with this, but it's worth a try.  The boy only likes water to drink.  He'll drink OJ or milk every once in a while, but only if his older brother does!  So we'll see how that works out. He gave me the OK to start weaning.  On one hand, this makes me happy. He's getting enough variety in foods, he should be OK to be weaned now.  However... my baby doesn't need me anymore.  It's hard.  I'm ready to have my body back, but I'm not ready to let my little guy grow up either.  We have always had the breast milk to fall back on.  It's always been our safety net.  But we have so many foods now, I feel confident he's fine without me.  That being said, I'm starting to take away the 3am feeding first.  Then we'll start weaning the daytime feeds.  I imagine in a month or so we'll be done.  It's a bittersweet feeling. 

We don't need to go back to the allergist until Jake is 2.  He plans to do a patch test again at that time with the foods Jake had FPIES reactions to and the foods he had reactions to with his first patch test.  It will be interesting to see what the results are. 

Interesting happening this week.... I ate a sandwich from subway that unknowingly had rice and oats in the bread.  Jake had a bad diaper.  Undigested food, acidic, yucky.  Only one though.  I've had that sandwich before.  Only a handful of times.  This is the first time I really looked up what was in the bread.  Anyway, I'm wonder if any of our other bad diaper experiences were related to a subway sandwich, or actually the food trial we were doing at the time.  Just a thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment