Sunday, June 26, 2011

Ascorbic Acid: Pass?

We are trying a new iron supplement:  Enfamil's Poly Vi Sol with Iron. 

Ingredients: Glycerin; Water; Ascorbic Acid; Ferrous Sulfate; Vitamin E Succinate; Niacinamide; Artificial Flavor and Color (Caramel); Polysorbate 80; Vitamin A Palmitate; Thiamin Hydrochloride; Riboflavin-5-Phosphate Sodium; Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride; Vitamin D3

I waffled back and forth.  The iron supplement we were giving him had no Vitamin C.  He needs the Vitamin C to absorb the iron.  Since his last iron check we gave him the same supplement but made sure he had an orange or some strawberries along with it to help with absorption.  Then we forgot it at the in-laws when we were on vacation.  Dang.  I picked up the MyKidz iron supplement that the PA had prescribed at his last check.  The ingredients made me uncomfortable.  There was a "starch" listed, but didn't say where the source was.  Was it rice starch, potato starch, corn starch?  It contained ascorbic acid, of course.  The kicker though?  It was strawberry-banana flavored.  Jake had a classic FPIES reaction to bananas.  I don't want to go there.  So we chose the lesser of two evils and went with the Poly Vi Sol with Iron where only one ingredient made me uncomfortable:  Ascorbic Acid. 

Jake's doing great on the new iron supplement.  He takes it everyday mixed with his applesauce and shredded coconut. 

So what does this mean?

Ascorbic Acid is not a trigger?  All Ascorbic Acid is not created equally?  Gerber has some serious cross contamination issues?  Jake grew out of his Ascorbic Acid trigger?  That jar of Gerber pears that contained only pears and ascorbic acid was a FAIL

I don't know.  I'm still leery of it.  I still scan labels for it.  But when that label says "less than 2% of one or more of the following:" and Ascorbic Acid is listed, I don't cringe anymore.  I let him have it. 

So there it is.  One less item on our trigger list. 

1 comment: