Thursday, February 17, 2011

Millet Granola!

It's been over 6 months since I've had any oats.  This means no granola in my diet.  Oh how I miss it.  This recipe was made for myself while I'm on the elimination diet for Jake.  However... I'm considering trialing coconut next week...

Maybe I'll make Jake his own version of granola!  (I will post it if I do!)

The great thing about this recipe is anything and almost everything can be subbed.  This is a starting point.  Want to use quinoa instead of millet?  Go for it!  Any dried fruit will work, no need to use raisins.  Leave out the nuts and seeds (I plan to for Jake).  However, you cannot sub the shredded coconut and coconut oil.  It makes the flavor of this yummy granola.

Next I need to figure out how to make granola bars... I need something to really "bind" it.

Millet Granola
1 cup raisins
½ cup walnuts
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
¼ cup raw pepitas
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tbsp hulled millet
1 cup millet puffs
2-3 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
1 Tbsp honey
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Add all ingredients to food processor or blender.  Chop/Grind until fine chunks.  Spread mixture into a 9 X 13 baking pan.  Bake at 300 for 15-20 minutes.  Allow mixture to cool, then crumble and store in airtight container in fridge.  This is so yummy alone.  I love it sprinkled on top of my yogurt or over Luna and Larry’s Coconut Bliss Dark Chocolate dessert.
Warning:  Highly addictive.     
And here's the recipe in pictures. 
I can't help it.  I'm a visual person.

The hulled millet is hiding in a boring container behind the puffed millet. Oops!

Yummm puffed millet.  My 8 year old thinks it tastes like popcorn!

Reminds me of Sand Art at the fair.  Anyone?

WHHHEEEEEEEEEE! I get dizzy just watching it!

Too bad Smellivision never really took off.. the aroma is divine. 

My breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment