Saturday, October 9, 2010

The irony is... Jake failed ascorbic acid today.

So after freaking out over Jake's spit up incident, we failed ascorbic acid.  At least that's what I think we failed.  I picked up some prune juice with the ascorbic acid in it.  I was a little leary, that's two things we haven't tried.  I didn't want to do them both together.  So I thought first I would try some jarred pears that contained pear concentrate and ascorbic acid.  He has fresh pears almost every day.  He has had jarred food a few times before he had any FPIES reactions.  This was probably his third time having it.  Three.  It's the magic number.  He ate the whole stage 2 jar after his nap today.  One hour later (less than normal reaction time of 2 hours) he vomitted.  Then he went into his zombie state.  I was very confused.  This wasn't his textbook reaction, but it was definitely a reaction.  He only vomited once.  Then it was the lethargic, red rings around his eyes, stiffening with stomach pains every once in a while, then back to being lethargic.  Even his brother who always puts a smile on his face, got nothing.  Every once in a while, he'd look at me with this pitiful, pleading eyes, rubbing his face, obviously in pain, then surrendor and just lay there, unmoving.  I kept waiting for the vomiting to start.  I kept wondering if I should take him to the ER.  I kept thinking... when is he going to start the full blown reaction?  I always thought his lethargy was caused by his extreme vomiting.  After today, I'm sure it's not.  So what's going on inside his little body that makes him react this way?  What puts him in the zombie state?  After about 90 minutes it was over.  He was asking to nurse.  He nursed, fell asleep for about 45 minutes, then woke up like nothing happened.  I googled ascorbic acid.  The man-made version is derived from corn.  Is it corn then?  Then I thought... I just bought a bag of corn chips a few days ago.  I've eaten a lot of them.  Bad, I know.  Maybe that's why he wasn't sleeping well the past few nights?  Maybe that's why he spit up?  I think I may drop all corn from my diet.  I mean all corn, even corn syrup. 

FPIES is like this giant puzzle that I feel like I never have all the pieces to.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my...that is so crazy...and confusing. I'm sorry Jakie had a reaction today. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry!
    My daughter is being scoped on Tuesday for a possible dissacharide intolerance. She has a really hard time processing sugars, and pears were our fail because of the high fructose level. We are extremely leary of doing any fruits, except bananas-to date those are her only safe foods. I think Sam (Joy's son) has the same problem - it seems to run hand in hand with FPIES. It's something more to think about as you're putting the pieces together. I think I have a blog post about it - "pear fail" or something. She was really sick for over a week afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "FPIES is like this giant puzzle that I feel like I never have all the pieces to"...what a perfect description!

    I have often referred to FPIES as a puzzle too- it's like a puzzle in a puzzle....FPIES is a puzzle and how it presents in my son is a puzzle.

    So sorry your little guy had a reaction today. My little man also has the lethargy- I call it a "flat affect" before the vomitting, I've learned. More pieces to the puzzle....

    ReplyDelete