Monday, October 25, 2010

Medication and FPIES

Friday night Jake started running a fever.  I waited.  I hoped it would go away on it's own.  Turns out it was just the start.  I debated with myself at 2am.  Do I give him the Tylenol?  He had been up ALL night.  Nobody was getting any rest.  But if I give him the Tylenol, there's a chance he'll have a reaction.  He had a temp over a 100 for a while now.  I caved.  I gave him the Tylenol.  Tylenol contains corn syrup.  Not a specific fail for us *yet*, but corn, nonetheless.  Not good judgement at 2am.  His fever broke and he went to sleep.  Two hours later (anyone watch spongebob?)...  Crying, screaming, horrible tummy pains for my little man.  It lasted about an hour.  I felt awful.  Granted it was a minor reaction, but he's already feeling horrible from being sick.  I don't want to try Tylenol again for fear of a worse reaction.  His reactions seem to get worse every exposure to an offending food.  Ugh.

So I went to the pharmacy first thing in the morning.  He recommended FeverAll suppositories.  No corn, and it's going in the other end.  No exposure in his gut.  These have been working OK.  It's Monday, he still has a fever and we've had three nights with no sleep.  *YAWWWN*  We visited the pediatrician this morning. Thankfully he's negative for strep, but he has a red throat.  Just a virus, she thought.  If he still has a fever by Tuesday night, bring him back in.  Hopefully we're at the end of this.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, we are going through the same thing here, but our "evil" medicine is Motrin. He has the same symptoms you described, but from Motrin. Thinking it's the actual med itself and not what's in it, since tylenol is ok. Still waiting on an ingredient list for the motrin . . . Thanks for the FeverAll, reminder. Forgot about those!! And love the blog!!

    ReplyDelete