Saturday, October 9, 2010

There is rice in Rice Crispies.

I put Jake down for a nap half an hour ago.  Last night he was up every two hours.  While he does wake up at night quite a lot (2-3 times), 4-5 times in one night is excessive.  This morning he's been happy, however.  We went to Big Bro Z's soccer game.  It was snack day for us.  Without a thought I picked up rice crispy treats.  Hello!!! Rice!!  Doh. I kept an eye on Jake. No one touched him with their rice crispies and they were gobbled up fast.  We stopped by Dunkin Donuts on the way home from the game.  It was an 8:00 am game.  Dad's out of town, so I try really hard to be the fun Mom.  He was a trooper and I put him down for a nap late.  It's been two hours since the rice crispies were passed out.  Jake just started crying.  I check him.  I pick him up. He burps.  He spits up all over me.  I panic.  It's been exactly two hours.  He burps a few more times.  I sit down with him.  Rock him.  Is he reacting?  He's tired.  He acts like he wants to nurse.  I let him.  Is he having a reaction?  He falls back asleep.  I rock him.  Twenty minutes later, I finally set him in the crib.  I watch him.  Am I sure he's not reacting? 

The whole scenario plays out in my head.  My mom is 40 minutes away right now, I can't call her.  That leaves Pops.  The one with the really bad gag reflex.  I envision him driving us to the ER.  Vomitting baby in my arms, Pops trying hard not to vomit himself.  Big kids afraid.  Me trying to contain the vomit.  Explaining everything to the ER when we get there.  We haven't seen the allergist yet.  We go in a week and a half.  We don't have a letter explaining everything from a doctor.  Do I explain FPIES?  Do I demand an IV right there?  What are they going to say?  Are they going to think I'm crazy?  The last reaction was a few months ago.  Was it as bad as I remember? 

I realize I need some kind of plan if we ever do have a reaction again.

Jake's OK.  No reaction.  It's been an hour now.  Whew.   I rack my brain.  When he spits up, it's usually something in my milk.  The vomitting is a reaction from something he ingests.  Was it something I ate last night?  I didn't have anything out of the ordinary.  He was up a lot last night.  I had my usual toast with peanut butter this morning to eat.  Oh the donut.  What's in a donut.  Google ingredients.  Nope.  No rice or oats.  There is barley, however.  I've always been suspicious about barley.  Once I had a beer.  He spit up.  Hmmmm.  Maybe someone breathed their rice crispies on him?  Maybe he *gasp* got a hold of one of those dang rice crispies??  If he did he'd be vomitting.   It was only some spit up.  More than usual.  But still. 

I'm never buying rice crispy treats again.

No comments:

Post a Comment