Friday, March 18, 2011

The dairy experiment

Jake has never reacted to dairy through my milk.  He has never ingested dairy.  The allergist wants us to wait until 18 months.  The allergist is afraid of dairy when it comes to FPIES

I disagree. 

So, while we're on this happy blissful probiotic, no food trial period.... I'm upping my dairy intake.  I'm having a serving of dairy with every meal.  In between meals, if I'm hungry, I'm drinking a glass of milk. 

It's a pre-trial, if you will. 

We know what happened with the beans last week.  Keeping in mind that he has NEVER ingested a legume in his short little food eating life.  And I have no idea what exactly would happen if he did.  Would it just be the same?  A tummy ache and a bad diaper?  Or would it be a classic FPIES reaction?

Anyway, I'm pre-trialing dairy.  The hubs and I both feel strongly that Jake will be OK with regular old cow's milk, based on his history so far.  But we're in no rush to stop nursing either.  I plan to nurse for quite a while still.  I just hate for Jake to be missing out on the health benefits of yogurt, kefir, cheese and milk, if he doesn't need to be.  Also, pumping just doesn't work for me.  And honestly?  I don't want to pump.  I don't want to spend 30-45 minutes pumping several times a day so I can be away from him longer than 2-3 hours.  It would be nice if we had regular milk to supplement in the case I would be away.

So there you have it.  A dairy pre-trial.  Who knows.  If this goes well, maybe we'll grow the cowbells to actually do a real trial.  Maybe. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm insanely giddy excited for your dairy pre- trial! I just hate pumping and haven't given up nursing, but the calcium and fat and plain old NORMALITY of giving Ginny cheese and yogurt and milk and ice cream is wonderful (even if I have to buy very specific brands with limited ingredients!). I have my fingers crossed and will say a prayer that this goes well for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete