Monday, September 27, 2010

An apple a day...

Squash was a success!!  Yay!  Of course, after we started trialing it, I find out that squash is one of the trigger foods for FPIES.  Thankfully we passed.  That gave us a big boost of confidence.  It also made me a little more aware of what some of the main trigger foods are, and what I should avoid for a while.  In light of the fact that the hubs will be OOT for a few weeks, I'm going with some safer foods next, anyway.  I'm a little nervous Jake may have a reaction while he's gone.  I think if he has any warning signs at all, I'll probably stop the food trial.  I can't imagine taking three kids, including a vomiting baby to the ER by myself.  So apples it is for this week.  Possibly white potatoes next week?  Hubs picked out a nice bag of organic apples yesterday.  I also found a package of freeze dried apples at the big box store.  It was the ONLY item in the baby food section that Jake could eat at this point.  Every one of those little fun finger foods contain rice or oat flour.  EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

On a side note, there has been an FPIES Research Fund set up to hopefully find a cause and a cure for FPIES.  CHOP needs $300,000 to fund the research.  There is a link on the side of my blog.  Every little bit will help!

2 comments:

  1. Hi - I have a 10 month old (also my third kiddo) with FPIES to rice and oats (and mango). She can eat apples, pears, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, carrots, peas, and WHEAT! Our allergist (who does know about FPIES thank goodness) explained that wheat is not too closely related to rice and oats and when we tried it, no reaction. Thought I would mention this because Catie LOVES puffed wheat as finger foods to replace all those finger foods with oats and rice!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vanessa! This gives me hope we'll pass wheat when the time comes. I'm hoping our allergist who we see in about 3 weeks will let us know when we can try it. I eat a lot of wheat and Jake doesn't seem to react at all to it through my milk. So I have a lot of hope that it will be good for us. You have a great list of safe foods! I hope we are there soon! Heather

    ReplyDelete