Thursday, September 30, 2010

Change the rules or get a dog?

The game of FPIES just changed, and now we need some new rules, since we don't have a dog.  Jake started CRAWLING.  Gone are the days of a quick scan of the carpet where I set Jake down.  He's never where I leave him now.  I'm trying hard not to empty my pantry of all foods that contains rice and oats... hello granola bars!! Granola bars are a staple. They are their own food group in our house.  My kids eat them EVERY DAY.  This is the day I wish we had a dog.  Dog's eat crumbs.  How convenient would that be?  Unfortunately, we have a cat.  And hubs is not a big fan of dogs.  And I'm not ready to have the responsibility of another "baby" in the house that needs to be potty trained and fed and taken care of.   

Since a dog is probably out of the question...  We need to change the rules.  No more eating.  Just kidding.  We've started eating only at the kitchen table.  Which means I have to start sweeping up the floor after every meal AND snack, which means I'm sweeping all day long. The old rule was to only eat on the tile.  Easy clean-up.  But Jake can get onto the tile now.  My kids don't like the new rule.  I don't like the new rule.  I really like to sit and eat my dark chocolate covered pomegranate (yes, I have a costco size bag), mixed with a few nuts, while watching season 6 of Lost, or our new obsession, Dexter, after the kids have gone to bed.  But I think I need to follow the rules, too. 

Accidental ingestion just became my biggest fear. 

4 comments:

  1. Another FPIES Mom here. Good luck on your journey! It is so hard, but it does get easier. My son is proof of that! One time, my husband was feeding my son cream of wheat, while he himself was eating oatmeal, accidentally slipped a spoonful of oatmeal in my son's mouth (I was furious!!! and burst into tears) and nothing happened. So...it does get easier. I'm not saying don't be careful, because we know you have to, but hang in there! I know how hard it feels right now when you're in the thick of it!
    www.fpiesbaby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meredith! I was eating my quinoa and chicken last night while feeding Jake his sweet potatoe and that thought crossed my mind! I just checked out your blog and it's so encouraging to see Kyle doing so well. This will get easier. That is my mantra. It looks like you don't update much anymore, but I'm going to link you on the side. You have lots of good info on your blog! Thanks! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep- an FPIES puppy has crossed our minds too!! Wow- we had a few accidential ingestions before everyone "got it"...and of course we still have "close-calls" all the time. I threw out all snack foods- no crackers, granola bars, chips, etc that would be crumbs and little nutrition anyway. I had the boys only eat at the table and only 3 meals- but then my 3yr.old wasn't dealing with that well and was just plain hungry- unable to fill his stomach enough at the meal. So, there is a lock on the pantry and planned snacks at the table instead. Also- having them eat outside in the GRASS has helped! :) But than again, snow is coming soon...
    Yes- this was one of our difficult transitions to make- with all of our little man's triggers and yet other children who still need nutrition....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh. I can so relate to this post. It is SO well written. Accidental ingestion SUCKS.

    ReplyDelete