Thursday, September 9, 2010

Here we go...

Jake is my third child.  My baby.  When we started solids a month ago, I assumed he'd be like the other two.  I was wrong.  It started one evening after a meal of oatmeal with avacodo mixed in.  We thought he had a stomach bug.  He vomitted for two hours straight, became very lethargic and listless, then fell asleep.  After a call to the pediatrician, we decided to let him sleep rather than take him to the ER.  He woke up like nothing happened, hungry and happy.  The next incident was a few days later with rice cereal mixed with bananas.  Same reaction.  I thought maybe he still had this "stomach bug".  A few days later I started over with just rice cereal.  I thought I better stick with the three day wait rule.  He ate a little rice cereal (later in the evening) and went to bed.  A few hours later he was crying, lying face down in vomit.  Never again will he eat before bed.  Mommy GUILT.  This is when I searched the internet for some answers.  The only thing I could find was a rare condition called FPIES.  Does he have it?  I don't know.  I'm not a doctor. We've had two more reactions since then.  Once to just bananas.  The last reaction was to 1 teaspoon of rice cereal.  Our pediatrician had us feed him only breastmilk for four days. After the four days, we gave him rice cereal.  My hubs and I knew what would happen.  And it did.  Again. 

Something's not right with my little guy's tummy.  The pediatrician has done a full allergy panel that came back all negative.  He has NO FOOD ALLERGIES, according to his blood.  So what is it?  We have an appointment with a GI doctor next week.  Hopefully we get some answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment