Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Official Diagnosis - FPIES

Today was the big day.  Jake's first visit to the GI.  Why are doctors so young these days? It certainly can't be because I'm getting older.  So he took down some of my history about the pregnancy and birth, then Jake's feeding history (EBF), and onto the food journal I've kept since Jake has been having reactions.  I decided I wouldn't even say the words FOOD PROTEIN.  I really wanted to know what his professional opinion was before I started shoving medical articles at him.  Do you want to know what happened next?  He said it sounds like a food protein allergyWe call it F-PIES.  I nodded.  "Oh you've heard of FPIES?".  I was relieved.  I was relieved that we didn't have a doctor baffled and scratching his head.  Or declaring my son had just had a stomach bug.  Or ordering a bunch of unnecessary tests. He had actually heard of FPIES and diagnosed Jake with it. 

Now we have a PLAN. I started asking some specific questions about possible foods to avoid.  He suggested we see an allergist and recommended one.  He wants us to hold off on grains for the next few months.  We're going to focus on adding some more veggies and fruits to his diet.  We're going back to Dr. GI in November and will meet with him and the nutritionist.  She will answer any more food specific questions I might have.  When the time comes to re-introduce rice, oats and bananas we will do it in a controlled setting. When he left the room I felt like crying.  Crying because my poor little man has to go through this.  Crying from relief that this is something my son will grow out of.  Crying because here is a doctor that seemed to understand these symptoms and had a name for it. 

I had noticed Jake spitting up a lot on Saturday.  Friday night I ate rice.  I decided to eliminate the offending foods from my diet completely.  The doctor also agreed with this decision, as well.  He said such a small percentage of the offending food's protein ends up in my milk, but it does have trace amounts.  It's possible it could be bothering Jake's tummy.  It certainly doesn't hurt to eliminate.  Since then, we've had no spit ups. 

Tomorrow we will be trying CARROTS!  Something with some color!  I'll be heading to the store for some fancy organic carrots and steam them myself.  Maybe I'll even chop up a few cooked ones for Jake to practice some fine motor skills.  Maybe he'll even get one or two in his mouth.  Just like a normal 7 month old would.

3 comments:

  1. That is SUCH good news, wow- can you feel my sigh of relief for you!? Wow, wow, wow. A doctor who recognized what you've been going through- a GI doctor!! Amazing. So happy for you!
    Also a GI doctor who recognizes the trace proteins in breastmilk...amazing. Did I say amazing? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joy, you are right about sigh of relief. I think we got so lucky with our GI. I hope you guys are home from the hospital soon. I've been checking for an update. :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am also in shock that you got that diagnosis from a GI doctor. That is so great. Our first GI visit at 7 months was awful awful awful. Wow. You are lucky!
    It will be so nice to have that direction from doctors who are on board and know what they are talking about instead of months of wondering, as well as tons of research trying to guide yourself through this (NOT) so wonderful world of FPIES.
    Good luck and keep us posted on everything!

    ReplyDelete